Italian Wedding – Required Documents

Posted by on May 28, 2013 in Managing Wedding |

italian weddingIf you are US citizens planning to marry in Tuscany or somewhere else in beautiful and romantic Italy, you have to present certain documents and to comply with Italian law specific requirements in order to get a marriage license. The applicable law on foreigner marriages is the same all over the country, but some City Halls might interpret this law in slightly different ways. Therefore, it’s important to hire an experienced wedding planner who will be in charge to advise you in case you need to provide addition documents. But, let’s take a look at the list of required documents.

Before arriving in Italy, you need to provide:

  • Birth Certificate: the Italian translation should show the name of both parents of yours.
  • U.S. Passport (or ID card if you are a member of US Armed Forces, but then your Commanding officer should issue the permission to marry)
  • Evidence of termination of previous marriage(s): translated; the divorce decree or, for example, death certificate of your former spouse.
  • Atto Notorio: it’s recommended to obtain it before arriving in Italy. It is a declaration stating that there are no obstacles to your marriage. Atto Notorio has to be sworn to by 2 witnesses (of any nationality, but over 18) before the Italian consul (find the nearest consulate to your residence).

Once you arrive in Italy:

  • Affidavit or Nulla Osta is a declaration required by Italian law. It states that one is free to marry.
  • Declaration of Intention to Marry: it usually takes place two days prior the wedding.

Wedding in Italy might be one of the best choices you have made in your life, but still you have to prepare for it carefully. For this reasons, many couples coming from, for example San Diego, look for the best destination wedding planner San Diego can offer.